Friday 8 May 2015

MoFilm Bose Advert

I decided to enter the February contest on MoFilm by the Bose company.

Though I chose to do the BOSE brief, I did consider the other competitions that were running at the time which was UNILEVER and National Youth Council (NYC)

Some mind-maps and playing around with ideas. There was complications in the beginning because I had read the brief wrong, instead of creating a film for Bose Headphones I was building my story around Bose Speakers. I learned of this from the declined response on the grant money to help with production.

Harriet was very clear and detailed on the feedback for my idea and helped me steer it in the right direction I feel.

Here is a brief preview of the email:

The brand felt like many of the ideas- although creatively very strong and all captured powerful stories related to music, were not completely aligned with their creative strategy.
To clarify the brand have shared:
The theme: 'Music is my ...':
Music has the power to transform a moment. These films should be about that moment and how it gets transformed.


The moment itself is not necessarily finite. It could be about someone who likes to escape their daily grind or commute, something they are working towards or building up to and music gets them through it changes what they see and how they feel in that moment.
We want to explore this transformation via stories featuring people who 
are getting into or out of something for example To escape, focus, connect, share, create etc.
We like the idea of the switching between introverted and extroverted moments. Could be a transformation either way.
It’s not about:
The role that music plays in your life.
What music is to you.
How amazing music is.


The role of headphones:
The transformation that you experience via headphones is likely to be
introverted​ (as a result of the user experience of this particular product).
Headphones should be part of the overall experience in some form. They are a signal that a transformation occurs whichever way you choose to show it.








This a rough schedule of how I would plan the shoot, I wanted to shoot each person's story in 2 days maximum, 3 in case of problems with locations. I wanted to do it in a 3 week slot but that was not possible because the actors had other commitments but we managed to film in time for the deadline. One of the locations was my house again but it was a plan B option as the location I wanted to use was under refurbishment and I did not have enough time to find and negotiate another one.


The brief was to present a film that shows how music can transform a moment, the moment can last for a long time or be short but the emphasis was how the new Bose Soundlink headphones provided this experience.

I was really happy with my time management skills because I managed to create an idea, plan the filming times, find actors/actresses and edit all before the deadline.

My cameraman was Vlad Dimov who I knew from my dance training and he filmed all the scenes for both of the videos. My role was to direct and edit the video. I enjoyed creating commercial videos because it tested my storytelling skills. Many briefs on MoFilm require the artist to produce stories that empact the viewer in 2 minutes or less.

I submitted two videos in the end because I realised I had chosen the wrong product to represent in the video. I focused on the Bose Soundlink speakers instead of the headphones, so some damage control had to be done there, however it all worked out in the end. I cannot post the videos publicly until decisions have been finalised, the deadline for that is between 11th May-14th May so if my videos are not successful then I can post them on my blog publicly.

As editor, which was the role I wanted to mainly do, I had the chance to really improve my skills on colour grading, shot timing and sound to a quality standard.



Gina's story:

Gina's story was more relaxed, I decided to show how she would spend her day listening to the Bose Soundlink headphones. It starts out as her hanging out with her partner and friend, they get the itch to dance and decided to go out in town to let loose. They find a wide space and start dancing, and for them a good night is being able to dance and chill after. I chose this concept for Gina because it is the reality of Gina's life so it worked perfectly as she did not have act differently on camera.

Most of the lighting from this video was what was available at the time, except for the indoor scenes which I lit with redhead lights. I placed a diffuser over them to soften the light as the emotional tone of this film was happy and relaxed, so having harsh shadows would not have worked.

This is the story, there might be some changes but I have also included the rough storyboarding/shot list I did to understand how the shots would work.


Namara's story:

Namara's story had a serious tone, I decided to show her journey to success. Her scenes are more solitary and emotional, I tried to emphasis how she does what she needs to do like a 9-5 job to make sure that she can provide for herself and come home to train and dance which is her passion. The headphones allow her to shut the outside world and dance in the comfort of her own room which I tried to make it look like a stage.

Lighting for this video was hard because for the dance scene, I wanted a spotlight appearance to make it look like she is performing and that is how I hoped the audience would interpret the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment